Monday, May 30, 2011

The dreaded brace!

After visiting Dr. Stotts at Primary Children's we were told that Jett needed to wear a brace to help his hips form correctly. As a new mother I was not so happy to hear this, the brace is really bulky and it keeps the legs spread apart and bent at the knee. I cried for about 2 days, I know it is going to help him but I wanted a baby so I could snuggle with him and hold him close this brace made it impossible to do so. I was told he would have to wear it 4 weeks, which is not a long time and I can totally deal with that! After 4 weeks of wearing it every hour of every day I was told he would have to wear it another 4 weeks :( again not a happy mom!! The good news is that it is doing him some good! The way they measure his healing is the percentage of how much of his hip is covered by the socket, when Jett was born his right leg was at 0% and 4 weeks later he is at 34%!! This was great news, and we are able now to take him out of the brace for 4-6 hours a day! Snuggle time here we come! The brace does not bother Jett at all and he even starts to get cranky now when he is out of it for a few hours. We are hoping to get a good ultrasound on June 10th and take it off for good! Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment